Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Marriage??

Of late I have been sort of postponing the postings on the blog… No specific reason other than that I have been busy… (yeah yeah I KNOW old excuse and a big reason that nothing major was happening… AND maybe that A LOT of things were happening but I really didn’t wanna pour it all out on the blog…)sigh!!!!
There was a marriage in the family in the weekend… Sort of interesting. Hmmm Its amazing how after attending one of these dos everyone starts talking about doing things differently and what things to change or forego and what to keep… And I for that matter am no different than anyone else… : )
I have been planning for this moment for most of my life and most things have changed over the years but one thing has remained constant. I want something very simple. Those who know me also know that I am very simple and therefore this will not come as a surprise to many…
I see the hustle and bustle that accompanies each marriage and I get tired just by observing!!! I wonder how the others feel who are actually working hard on getting something accomplished… Whenever I talk about this the responses I get are :
Its tradition
It’s customary
It’s the way it was done and we should continue doing it…
Blah.. blah.. blah…

And I get more frustrated with each response… I mean we have the power to change whatever we want so why can’t we change the customs!!! Why continue doing things when no one knows what it’s about!! I have found that instead of the day being for the Bride and Groom it’s a day for showing off to relatives… It’s a matter of social standing and status!!!
There is something called “Kanya Daan” where the parents of the bride give away the bride to the groom. Well in the wedding I attended the bride’s mom, wasn’t allowed to do this. Reason – she is a widow. What crap!!! If someone had said something like that to my mum I would have refused to get married!!! I know that this is not always practiced but these things should have been discussed prior to the wedding… Talk about being hurtful!!!
As each day passes the notion of getting a pre-nuptial agreement sounds more and more appealing…
Have everything written and vetted before tying the knot!!! It’s just a thought anyway…
Frustrating as it was I love attending Indian weddings... It’s really colorful… And very meaningful… Meaningful to those who understand it that is : )

0 comments:


© 2011 Impressions in Time, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena