Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Getting Organized

Now anyone who knows me also knows that I'm a very disorganized person in my personal life :) Now this is not something to brag about but I really don't like order... Anyways I am making a serious effort to change things now and I'm making small small changes to achieve order in my usually chaotic world!!! (Boy my brother would love this - especially since his field of study is Chaos Theory!!!)

Now of late I have realized that I'm responsible for everything related to Finance at home. My mum used to handle it before but slowly slowly I have taken over this. It was so slowly done that I didn't even realize it till Jan this year!!! 

The first thing I did when the realization dawned was make a list of all my monthly bills. For example:

  1. Telephone bills  - Due date
  2. Electricity - Due date
  3. Phone bill - Due date
  4. Credit Cards - Due date
  5. Mortgage Payments - Due date
Plus a list of yearly dues like City Rates, Lease Rates

I marked it as a task on my blackberry with a monthly reminder. 

The second thing that I did was buy some folders. I filed all the monthly statements in individual folders. Each folder cost me $1.00. 

Plus I keep one folder for current month. All bills go into this folder and as the payments done I put it into the respective folder.


So far so good. This has made my work very very simple. And all I had to do was make a list and set a reminder in case the statement is delayed and purchase some folders for easy filing. The folders cost me $10 but now everything is very organized. I prefer folders but others may prefer boxes for storage. 

All statements over a year old, i just bring it to work for shredding as it contains very vital information and I can't dispose it off without thinking twice.

1 comments:

Prabhat said...

I got to do this before Mar-31. Things have been "gol-mal" for almost a decade. Thanks for the inspiration.


© 2011 Impressions in Time, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena