Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Home Composting

My home composter was installed when I went home yesterday. Gosh - I was soo excited!!!

I bought the composter on Friday and LCC (Lautoka City Council) installed it yesterday. I'm so looking forward to using it now : ) Here are some pictures:




Now this composter has been supplied by LCC for $30. It usually retails for $55 but the City rate payers received a big discount. 


Some things to note are:

  • Only one per rate payer
  • Cyclone proof
  • Controlled composting
  • Installation - done by LCC
  • Capacity - 200L
We were already composting but it was usually where we dig a hole and we put all our kitchen waste in it and then cover it - great way to return to the environment. Also we would use the dry waste (peelings) as mulch. But I just loved the idea of having a proper compost bin that I simply had to have this. 

Now some may consider this a waste of money but I look at it as a proactive role towards waste minimization. For one thing I had this bin installed in front of our house next to the driveway. Its not hidden at the back but is visible to anyone. Next, this is where our serious gardening takes place. We are forever working in the gardens and there is always grass and leaves available. Also its closer to the kitchen and therefore easy access for everyone. Last but not the least - its CUTE!!!

I must commend LCC (Lautoka City Council) for the great job they have done promoting environment. About 2 weeks ago I attended a Community Meeting initiated by LCC to promote the 3R's plus Composting. This is a big big step for a small island nation of Fiji. LCC have been promoting this and I for one will do my part.

They have booklets on how to use the bins to everyone who bought the bin.






The booklet gives step by step instructions in very simple plain English. This bin is great for households and schools. And it makes great compost. 

LCC have also advised that I can get free shredded chips that I can use for mulching - FOC. Now thats great help. Thanks LCC!!!

0 comments:


© 2011 Impressions in Time, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena