Monday, May 05, 2008

Insensitive Commercialization

Mothers Day – May 11, 2008
Mothers Day is being advertised EVERYWHERE. I turn on the radio and all varieties of jingles blast out promoting Mothers Day Sale. I went to town and all shops had Mothers Day Sale… In fact everywhere I turn I find some sort of advertisement for Mothers Day. And all this commercialization is driving me crazy…
I don’t have anything against Mothers Day. But do we need a day to shower our love on our mothers? Why can’t we do it all the time?
Do we need a reminder like Mothers Day to highlight just how important and precious our mother is? Why can’t it be there in our heads all the time?
Do we just do our “DUTY” on that one day of the year by gifting and showering our love and forget about it for the remaining 364 days?
Do we need to buy a gift for that particular event when it’s not really possible (in monetary terms)? And if we don’t buy a gift then does it mean that we don’t love our Mums?
I know that buying gifts are not necessary and we can just make her day beautiful. For example – give her breakfast in bed, do all the cooking and cleaning for the day or take her out for a special lunch or dinner and the list can continue….My point here is: Why just do it for one day? Why not for the rest of the year?
I sometimes wonder how those feel who have lost their mothers. I lost my Nanna around 5 years ago and I miss her alot but it fails in comparison to what my Mum feels and especially around this time of the year.

Don’t mistake my words here. I love Mothers Day but I try to celebrate Mothers Day every day. I don’t know if I succeed or not. Guess you’ll have to ask my Mum. But at least I try to give it my 100%. But I really hate all the commercialization that is currently present. Same goes for Father's Day as well. I think that some have forgotten how this Day had originally come about.
If you are interested here is the History behind Mothers Day.

Treat others like you expect to be treated. Well ... Remembered for a Day or all the time?

2 comments:

Prabhat said...

hummm good post. well, mums are always to be adored. On this special day, we should something extra. Make that day something special for her. And not only for her, make it for all the mothers in the world too!

Annjelyn Shalvina said...

If only I could make all mothers happy :( But yes making this day extra special is definitely one of the plans... However Mums should be adored everyday..


© 2011 Impressions in Time, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena